The Super Bowl is just days away and many of us are actively rooting for Tom Brady and the Patriots to lose. Don’t get me wrong, I was sad to see Kansas City lose last week, as Mahomes is a fantastic Quarterback with a very bright future ahead of him. However, he made the unfortunate rookie mistake of leaving Tom Brady with 2 minutes to score another touchdown to tie up the game. If KC was playing any other team, 2 minutes would most likely not have been enough time, however Brady, not only knows how to work a field, his experience allows him to keep calm and make the right decision at the right time.
So why are so many of us against the Patriots? Well, upon googling the key phrase “why people hate the patriots,” in an astounding 0.40 seconds, 21,000,000 articles on the topic popped up. After taking some time to review many of the articles, the following reasons seemed to rise to the top:
- Spygate. Yes it was legal to videotape your opponents, however the location of your video cameras is not up for the head coach to decide. For those that don’t remember what Spygate is, please click here.
- Deflategate. The story that went on for 500 days resulting in a $1MM fine, 2 lost draft picks and Brady being suspended for 4 games. For the full timeline of the events, click here.
- Bill Belichick. Has anyone seen him actually crack a smile on the field? A large part of me would like to let a litter of puppies run lose all over him during a press conference just to see if that would illicit some sort of happy emotion on his face. He is as noted for his grimaces, glares and frowns as much as he is for his incredible coaching talent.
- Tom Brady. The fact that he came from the bottom of the draft pick and now has one of the best careers in NFL history should be admirable. (If anyone would like mathematical proof as to where Brady stands in the list of the greatest QBs of all time, please take a read through this article.) Unfortunately, when you mix that in with good looks, a supermodel wife, rescue dogs and 3 adorable and healthy children, admiration turns to jealousy and jealousy can get very ugly.
- They are good and consistent year over year. Over the years the Patriots have become the 800lb gorilla. They are always there, waiting for the other team’s misstep so that they can take advantage of the situation. When it comes to the individual players, Gronk and Brady top the list, however the way the entire team rallies behind their coach and their QB, the way Brady utilizes all the players on the field to find the open pocket, the way Belichick assigns and uses the plays, the special teams and the arsenal that he has built over the course of his career, makes them a hard team to beat.
- Lastly, it’s kind of fun to hate them and you’re never alone in doing so!
So for those of you that want to continue to hate the Patriots, I will not try to dissuade you. I will, however, ask you to come clean with your reasons as to why.
I personally do not hate the Patriots, however I would like the Rams to win 😊 But that may have more to do with the fact that I am a Steelers fan and Brady’s record against the Steelers is 10-2 (regular season and post season combined).