Whenever a new year is upon us, making a few personal resolutions is usually a simple task – lose weight, stop smoking, exercise more, work less, pick up a new hobby, save money, etc. Whether we stick with them is another blog post all together!
However, when it comes to our professional lives, the resolutions we should be making are not always as apparent. So I’ve taken the liberty of putting together a short list of potential new years resolutions for accountants (or any other professionals):
- Invest in yourself. Make sure to spend time on your own professional development. Fine tuning your professional skills or developing new ones is always a worthy investment.
- Invest in digital marketing. Social media isn’t going away, so if you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet, it’s time! As the saying goes “you’ve got to be in it to win it” and unless you are out there in the world of Twitter, LinkeIn, Facebook, etc, there is an entire generation of up and coming entrepreneurs that don’t even know you exist!
- Finally create that LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn isn’t just a social media platform, it’s also your digital resume. It serves as a way to get your name out there and to also find out about trends in your profession. Oh and don’t forget to keep updating your profile! The best way to lose a potential client or referral is for someone to click on your profile and see that it hasn’t been updated since the day you created it.
- Join a professional network. Professional networks provide access to several networking events during the course of the year. Regardless of whether you join a local or international network, one thing is certain, whomever your meeting is coming with the same idea as you – to expand upon your current professional footprint.
- Listen and learn from your clients. Take the time to ask your clients what you and your firm did well and not so well during the past year. Hearing this feedback and then turning it in to action may be exactly what your firm needs to ensure that your clients remain happy and loyal.
Wishing all of you a healthy, happy and prosperous 2018!